By George Hight
2.1: Performance, Flexibility, New Features, And More
Our BBx® product has changed considerably since the days of its
earlier editions as BBxPROGRESSION/3® and
BBxPROGRESSION/4®. Our new release as PRO/5® 2.1 and Visual
PRO/5® 2.1 presents many reasons for updating that make good
business sense. In addition to improvements allowing more flexible and
powerful enhancements to your products, there are several new features
that add value to your current product offering, including
- Per Seat Licenses--The new FLEXlm license server in
nearly all configurations, with the exception of some Telnet
configurations, does not count invocations of BBx but counts
workstations instead. Thus, the number of users required is often
- Multiuser Licenses--The new FLEXlm license server allows
a license to be floated across multiple systems.
- Interchangeable Clients--With the FLEXlm license server,
multiuser or Windows clients can be installed interchangeably on the
same network, allowing seamless migration from character-based
terminals to Windows workstations without the inconvenience or cost of
- Terminal Emulation Capabilities--New FacetWin releases
from FacetCorp allow multiple terminal-session invocations from a
single seat to be counted as one seat for licensing purposes.
- High Recovery MKEYED Files--With the growth of file
sizes, data recovery is more important than ever. The new MKEYED files
are structured to provide a high degree of recovery of data when a
file has been corrupted. This new set of recovery utilities supplied
with the 2.1 release is superior to earlier offerings.
- Larger File Sizes--The 2.1 release supports 4-gigabyte
file sizes on those UNIX platforms that support large file sizes. The
previous limit was 2 gigabytes. PRO/5 file size is based on industry
standards and as 64-byte platforms become available, our supported
file sizes will continue to grow.
- Improved File System--This release provides improved
performance on string files and additional error checking to mitigate
file corruption problems.
- New Ports--The 2.1 release is available on Linux to meet
the needs of users for whom Linux is a good solution.
- Client/Server Edition--Client/server capability can be
added to any PRO/5 installation by adding the PRO/5 Data Server
- Year 2000 Certified Platforms--To help protect our
customers from Year 2000 liability, the 2.1 release is only ported to
UNIX platforms that have been certified as Year 2000 compliant by
These new features of the 2.1 release combine to make your current
product offering more robust and flexible with little or no change to
your existing code. All that, plus Year 2000 compatibility. Update
today. Your customers will love it!